Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What is PWDA?
People with Disability Australia Incorporated (PWDA)
- is a national disability rights and advocacy organisation;
- is made up of people with disability and organisations primarily constituted by people with disability;
- has a large associate membership of other individuals and organisations committed to the disability rights movement;
- has a cross-disability focus; and
- is a non-profit, non-government organisation
Q. How do I join PWDA?
You can join PWDA by filling out a membership application. You can learn more about membership by clicking here.
Q. What do your services include and what do they cover?
All our services are listed here.
Currently, we are funded to provide these services to NSW and QLD in Australia only.
Q. Does PWDA offer a newsletter? If so, I would like to be on your mailing list.
PWDA publishes a regular EBulletin and a members' Newsletter - 'LinkUp'.
- To receive our EBulletin, you can subscribe for free by completing the short form here.
- To receive our LinkUp Newsletter, you can always get a copy from this page or become a member to get LinkUp posted to you when it is printed.
Q. I am a student doing an assignment on a disability related topic. Can you help me with my assignment?
We encourage students to make full use of our website - publications, submissions, newsletters, Ebulletins and other documents online - to address assignments relating to disability. We have a Students' Section here on our website.
Q. I have a legal matter relating to a disability related issue. Can PWDA provide any advice on how to approach this matter? Can you support an individual in this situation?
PWDA cannot provide any legal advice or information. You can get free legal advice by calling the Australian Centre for Disability Law on (02) 9370 3135 or 1800 800 708 between 9.30am and 12.30pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday or view their contact details.
Q. I need Home Care but all the services in my area are at capacity and cannot provide me with a service.
You have the right to access disability support services that you require. You will need to contact the National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline 1800 880 052 so they can report this matter as Systemic Abuse.
Q. What do I do about my child's school which is discriminating against my child with a disability?
You can contact the Australian Human Rights Commission and the Anti-Discrimination Board or Equal Opportunity Commission of your state or territory as every child has the right to be educated in mainstream education.
Q. How I could get a job at PWDA? I feel passionate about your service and have lots of experience of disability.
Q. What is the best way to contact PWDA?
You can contact us by:
Phone 02 9370 3100 or Toll Free 1800 422 015
TTY: 02 9318 2138 or TTY Toll Free: 1800 422 016
In person by visiting Level 10, 1 Lawson Square, Redfern NSW or
Post PO Box 666, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012