UN Ad Hoc Committee Meetings
PWD President Heidi Forrest (centre), CEO Alastair McEwin (right) and former CEO Phillip French
at the Convention meeting in early 2006
- Eighth Session - 14-25 August 2006
- Seventh Session - 16 January-3 February 2006
- Sixth Session - 1-12 August 2005
- Fifth Session - 24 January-4 February 2005
- Fourth Session - 23 August-3 September 2004
- Third Session - 24 May-4 June 2004
- First and Second Sessions
The International Convention on the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities was a landmark achievement documenting the human rights of people with disability across all UN member states.
When the Ad Hoc Committee met New York to discuss and debate a delegation from PWD attended the Eighth Session. PWD prepared a Briefing Paper - Report on Consultations with PWD Members and Stakeholders (Word 677kb) on issues under discussion at the Eighth Session, based on consultations with members and interested stakeholders. Disabled Peoples' International - www.dpi.org compiled daily summaries of the progress of the Eighth Session of the Ad Hoc Committee.
The seventh session of the Ad Hoc Committee was held in New York on 16 January to 3 February 2006. PWD and the National Association of Community Legal Centres (NACLC) participated in the Ad Hoc Committee meeting by making statements (called interventions) to the Ad Hoc Committee.
- Article 2 – Definitions Word 50kb
- Article 6 – Women with disability (and other population groups) Word 39kb
- Article 11 – Situations of risk Word 30kb
- Article 12 – Equal recognition as a person before the law Word 30kb
- Article 17 – Protecting the integrity of the person Word 40kb
- Article 21 - Freedom of expression and opinion, and access to information Word 40kb
- Article 25 – Health Word 40kb
- Article 33 - Monitoring Word 44.9kb
The Sixth Session of the Ad Hoc Committee was held from 1 to 12 August 2005 at the United Nations headquarters in New York. PWD and NACLAC made some interventions at the Seventh Session of the Ad Hoc Committee.
- Position in relation to draft article 15(bis) Women with Disability (PWD) Word 15kb
- Commentary, proposals and suggested text in relation to draft articles 18 to 24bis (PWD & NACLC) Word 424kb
- Intervention in relation to Article 18 - Political Participation (PWD & NACLC) Word 11.3kb
- Intervention in relation to Article 22 - Right to Work (PWD) Word 8.65kb
- Intervention in relation to Article 24(bis) - International Cooperation (PWD) Word 13.6kb
- Intervention in relation to Article 25 - Monitoring and Missing Elements (PWD & NACLC) Word 26kb
The Fifth Session of the Ad Hoc Committee was held from 24 January to 4 February 2005 at the United Nations headquarters in New York. Two media articles reported the developments:
- Rights: Ending poverty means empowering the disabled, Inter Press Service News Agency article, 3 February 2005.
- Key articles in draft disability treaty approved at UN meeting, UN news article, 6 February 2005.
The Fourth Session of the Ad Hoc Committee was held from 23 August to 3 September 2004 at the United Nations headquarters in New York. The following interventions were made:
- Intervention in relation to Articles 1-15 Word 167kb
- Intervention in relation to Monitoring Word 27.5kb
- Intervention in relation to The Preamble Word 29kb
- Intervention in relation to the Structure of the Convention Word 116kb
- Intervention in relation to the Title of the Convention Word 22.5kb
The Third Session of the Ad Hoc Committee was held from 24 May to 4 June 2004 at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
- 1 June 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 107kb
- 2 June 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 99.5kb
- 3 June 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 105k
- 4 June 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 88kb
- 25 May 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 84.5kb
- 26 May 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 249kb
- 27 May 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 359kb
- 28 May 2004 Ad Hoc Committee Daily Summary Word 104kb
The UN General Assembly established an “Ad Hoc Committee” to develop the draft convention and present it back to the General Assembly for adoption. All member states of the United Nations had an automatic right to participate in this Ad Hoc Committee and Australia joined about 160 countries in this process.
The second session of the Ad Hoc Committee was held on 16-27 June 2003. Background information on this session is available at un.org/esa/socdev/enable/rights/adhoc2meet.htm
At the second session of the Ad Hoc Committee it was decided to set up a Working Group to prepare a draft Convention to be used for discussion and negotiation by the Ad Hoc Committee. Background information on the Working Group is available at un.org/esa/socdev/enable/rights/ahcwgreport.htm
The first session of the Ad Hoc Committee was held on 29 July-2 August 2002. Background information on this meeting was available at www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/rights/adhocmeet.htm
A draft of the Convention (called the Draft Comprehensive and Integral International Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities) is still available at un.org/esa/socdev/enable/rights/ahcwgreportax1.htm