Disabled Peoples' International 8th World Assembly, Durban, South Africa
10-13 October 2011 a delegation of Australian people with disability from People with Disability Australia (PWD) and the Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO) represented Australia at the Disabled Peoples’ International (DPI) 8th World Assembly in Durban, South Africa.
The Assembly is a unique opportunity for the international network of Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) to come together to build their capacity to understand, implement and monitor the rights of persons with disability. The Australian delegates made presentations discussing how the CRPD has been implemented and monitored in Australia, including discussions on the CRPD shadow reporting process, inclusion of people with intellectual disability in CRPD monitoring and cases of particular CRPD Articles and government non-compliance.
The Australian delegates to the Assembly were:
- Jan Daisley, President, PWDA;
- Peter Cassar, Secretary, PWDA;
- Matthew Bowden, Executive Director, Leadership Team, PWAD;
- Samantha French, Advocacy Projects Manager, PWDA;
- Lesley Jarman, PWDA member;
- Lesley Hall - Chief Executive Officer, AFDO;
- Dr David Webb – AFDO International Representative;
- Janice Slattery – Self-Advocate, past AFDO Project Worker;
- Brenda Lacey – AFDO Office Manager and Support Worker for Janice Slattery.
Observations from the Australian Delegation - Day 1 Word 194kb
Observations from the Australian Delegation - Day 2 Word 197kb
Observations from the Australian Delegation - Day 3 Word 195kb
Observations from the Australian Delegation - Day 4 Word 202kb
Durban Declaration 197kb Word
Official DPI World Assembly Website - www.dpi2011.co.za