People with Disability Australia (PWDA) the peak body for people with disability, and Youth Action, the peak body for young people and youth services in NSW, have come together to support young people with disability and youth services in this innovative Information, Linkages and Capacity Building (ILC) project funded through the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA).
The ‘Creating Access’ project will run for one year, and aims to build the capacity of the youth sector in NSW to be responsive, inclusive and accessible to young people with disability.
The project will be led by an advisory group, consult young people with disability on the barriers they face to accessing youth services and link with organisations to make them more accessible. At the end of the project, a toolkit will be created to help youth services become more accessible for young people with disability.
What we want to achieve:
- Youth services increase their skills and confidence in engaging with and supporting young people with disability.
- Young people with disability and youth workers can find appropriate and relevant information, and resources for services and supports within the community.
- Youth services are more accessible and inclusive in their practices and operations.
- Youth services establish a Community of Practice, promoting best practice and sharing insights for inclusive practices and policies.
- Young people with disability are accessing more youth services. They are included in, and confident participating in activities with peers without a disability.
- Young people with disability increase their knowledge and confidence in self-advocacy.