Disability housing advocacy service

Home » Get help » Housing and accommodation » Disability housing advocacy service

It is important for those of us living in disability housing to have somewhere to go to get independent information and advice about our housing rights.

Our disability housing advocacy service provides people in supported accommodations such as Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), SIL Homes, and Group Homes in NSW with a professional advocate who will support them to resolve their housing concerns and enforce their rights. This may be through mediation or other dispute resolution. The Disability Housing Information Line processes intake requests for the advocacy service.

Our project staff can assist people living in Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) in NSW to settle disputes directly with their SDA providers or by mediation through Community Justice Centres.

The advocacy service can:

  • Support residents to use SDA providers’ internal complaint-handling processes.
  • Support and advocate for residents through mediation and other external dispute resolution services.
Disability Housing Advocacy Service. 1800 843 929. Two people sitting at a desk smiling. PWDA Logo.

How to get help

To understand how we can best support you, we need to get some information about you as well as the problem you’re experiencing or the issue you’re wanting to address.

  • Phone: 1800 422 015 (toll-free) and ask to speak to our Project Officer of Disability Housing Information Line or one of our intake officers
  • Email: housinginfo@pwd.org.au

Frequently asked questions

Who can use the service?

People with disability who live in any type of SDA, SIL Home, or Group Home in New South Wales.

Who funds this pilot project?

This pilot project is funded by the NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ).

Why do we need this service?

We want to make sure that everyone living in SDAs, SIL Homes, and Group Homes knows about their rights. This includes where to go when they have an issue or concern with their accommodation provider.

Ends | Contact us