Disability Housing Advocacy Service

Disability Housing Advocacy Service. 1800 843 929. Two people sitting at a desk smiling. PWDA Logo.

It is important for those of us living in disability housing to have somewhere to go to get independent information and advice about our housing rights.

The Disability Housing Advocacy Service provides people in disability housing with a professional advocate, who will help them resolve their housing concerns and enforce their rights. This may be through mediation or other dispute resolution.

The Disability Housing Information Line processes intake requests for the advocacy service.

Our project staff can assist people living in Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) in NSW to settle disputes directly with their SDA providers or by mediation through Community Justice Centres.

The advocacy service can:

  1. Help residents to use SDA providers’ internal complaint handling processes.
  2. Support and advocate for residents through mediation and other external dispute resolution services.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can use the service?
People with disability who live in any type of SDA in NSW. SDA includes units, group homes and large residential centres.

Who funds this pilot project?
This pilot project is funded by the NSW Department of Families and Community Services (FACS).

Why do we need this service?
We want to make sure that everyone living in SDA knows about their rights. This includes where to go when they have an issue or concern with their accommodation provider.

How do I contact the Service?
You can call 1800 843 929 or email housinginfo@pwd.org.au.