PWDA has participated in many state and Federal elections.
2019 Federal election
We asked all political parties to commit to putting people with disability at the heart of their agenda, committing to measures that will demonstrate that we are fully included in Australia:
2019 NSW State election
Our platform focused on inclusion, housing, jobs and transport, stopping violence, and getting justice. It is available here.
2016 Federal election
Our platform was developed with our colleagues in DPO Australia and is available here. Several major political parties responded in detail to our proposals. (Note: DPO Australia was originally called the Australian Cross Disability Alliance.)
2015 NSW State election
“The recommendations in our Election Platform are concrete steps towards full inclusion and participation of people with disability in the economic, social and cultural life of NSW. We strongly urge candidates to adopt these recommendations and, if successful, to begin the job of implementing them from the day after the election.”
The key policy areas for this campaign were:
- Realise Inclusion – through the full implementation of the National Disability Strategy in NSW
- Deliver disability support – with person-centred disability support services provided in a diverse, sustainable and competitive market
- Living in the Community – addressing the systemic barriers that exclude people with disability from living in the community
- Deliver on jobs and training – through cross-Government strategies to improve training and employment outcomes for people with disability
- Prevent violence and ensure justice – embed a holistic strategy of prevention, protection, prosecution and partnership
The NSW Government responded – read what they said here.
2013 Federal election
The 2013 Federal election looked at our rights – to access the places and spaces that other people take for granted. To justice and a fair go.
- Get Real on Jobs
Increase the employment levels of people with disability
- Deliver the NDIS
Build a sustainable, person-centred NDIS.
- Stop the Abuse
Embed a holistic strategy of prevention, protection, prosecution and partnership.
- Make the Convention Real
Implement the National Disability Strategy
Watch an election disability Q and A session.