PWDA and the Australian Centre for Disability Law assisted the Australian Human Rights Commission to send a delegation of young people with disability to the 7th Session of the Conference of States Parties (COSP) at the UN in New York from 10-12 June in 2014.
The Australian Human Rights Commission sent seven young Australians
with disability to the United Nations from 10-12 June in 2014
The COSP meeting was for countries that have ratified the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and gave delegates the chance to discuss progress on implementation. Thematic discussions for this session were: Incorporating the CRPD provisions into the post-2015 development agenda; Youth with disabilities; and National implementation and monitoring. During the 7th session, elections for new members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities were also conducted.
Australian Youth with Disability Delegation
These young Australians formed part of the non-government organisation delegation led by Therese Sands, Co-Chief Executive Director, PWDA and Rosemary Kayess, Chairperson, ACDL.
- Ms. Ace Boncato, National Ethnic Disability Alliance
- Ms. Cashelle Dunn, Women With Disabilities Australia
- Ms. Lauren Henley, Blind Citizens Australia
- Ms. Desiree Johnston, Speak Out Tasmania / National Council on Intellectual Disability
- Ms. Bonnie Millen, People with Disability Australia
- Mr. Joel Wilson, Autistic Self Advocacy Network of Australia & New Zealand / People with Disabilities Western Australia
- Mr. Brendan Pearce, Deafness Forum of Australia
IMAGE: Australian Youth Delegation (Left to Right) Brendan Pearce, Desiree Johnston, Joel Wilson,
Cashelle Dunn, Lauren Henley, Bonnie Millen and Ace Boncato in front
As well as attending the COSP, the NGO delegation participated in the Civil Society Forum on 9 June and conducted a side-event on 12 June. The side-event, Strengthening Emerging Leaders with Disability – Barriers and Opportunities, enabled the NGO delegation to present information and views directly to representatives participating in the UN meetings.
The delegation was supported by funding from an Australian Government grants program and the generous contributions made by Benevolent organisations, disability organisations and individuals.
Australian NGO Youth Delegation Daily Reports
- Sunday 8 June 2014
- Monday 9 June 2014
- Tuesday 10 June 2014
- Wednesday 11 June 2014
- Thursday 12 June 2014
- Ace Boncato Word 30kb
- Cashelle Dunn Word 3kkb
- Lauren Henley Word 28kb
- Desiree Johnston Word 26kb
- Bonnie Millen Word 485kb
- Brendan Pearce Word 30kb
- Joel Wilson Word 32kb
- Transcript from Side-Event – 12 June 2014 Word 89kb
Conference of States Parties to the CRPD Documents
- Seventh session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 10-12 June 2014
Media and News
- Interview of Joel Wilson with Suresh Rajan – Radio 6EBA (WA)
- Opportunity of a Lifetime – The Observatory
- Young Disability Leaders join UN Conference – ProBono News
- Emerging Leaders with Disability represent Australia at the UN – PWDA May EBulletin
- Commission to send seven Australians with disability to the UN – Australia Human Rights Commission
- 7th session of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD – Global Accessibility News