Latest news for members
We’re keeping our members informed and engaged.
We regularly email our members about member-related news and activities as well as updates about how our board is responding to issues which are important to members.
But in case you’ve missed these emails, we also include all the relevant news right here on our Members Hub!
Don’t forget: You can also sign up to our newsletters to get your choice of PWDA newsletters to your inbox!
- Why we need the NDISBorn out of the dire need to address the shortcomings of the existing support system, the NDIS has emerged as a lifeline for millions, offering a pathway to independence, dignity, and a better quality of life.
- PWDA Report Reveals Critical Need for Inclusive Domestic and Family Violence Services for Women with DisabilityA new report from People with Disability Australia (PWDA) has highlighted the significant barriers women and children with disability face when accessing domestic and family violence services.
- How the NDIS could work better for me“To me, good support from the NDIS means understanding my disability from my point of view. It means giving me what I need to thrive and letting me choose the supports that work best for me. It means getting roadblocks out of my way.”
- PWDA Welcomes New Board Members and Farewells Outgoing LeadersPWDA members approved the appointment of Eva Sifis and Kevyn Morris as new board directors for a two-year term. They join returning board directors Arun Barramundi, Haidi Badawi, Marayke Jonkers, Dr Michelle Hyde, Nicole Lee, Presley Chihuri, Suresh Rajan and Dr Zhila Hasanloo.
- Year in Review Forum In celebration of 2023 International Day of People with Disability, People with Disability Australia and Advocacy for Inclusion will participate in a joint online Members’ Forum, ‘In Conversation with Dr Rhonda Galbally AC and Craig Wallace, Head of Policy, Advocacy for Inclusion, on Thursday 7 December from 6:00 pm AEDT.
- Post-Covid ForumThe experiences and feedback shared by members at the forum, along with the survey responses will now contribute to the PWDA Board’s Position Statement on COVID-19.
- 2023 Board Advisory GroupsThe Board of People with Disability Australia (PWDA) has established a number of voluntary Board Advisory Groups to help make sure that PWDA has strong advisory processes and procedures. The PWDA Board have opened nominations for the PWDA Board Advisory Groups.
- Advancing women with disabilityOn International Women’s Day, People with Disability Australia (PWDA) calls on organisations across Australia to recognise women with disability as ready and willing to lead.
- 2023 Sydney Mardi Gras – we’re loud and proud!People with Disability Australia (PWDA) are proud to be joining the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras (SGLMG) parade on Saturday 25 February as part of Sydney’s World Pride 2023.
- 2023 NSW State Election voting informationThe NSW State election will be held on Saturday 25 March 2023. Please note that iVote (internet voting on personal computers, tablet devices and smartphones) will not be available at this election.
- 2022 Members Online ForumAll PWDA members are invited to our first PWDA members-only online forum in 2023 to meet the new PWDA Board of Directors! Join us Tuesday 7 February, 6-8pm (AEDT) to be part of this online forum (held via Zoom). PWDA … Read more
- 2022 PWDA AGMWe are pleased to confirm the 2022 Annual General Meeting (AGM) of People with Disability Australia (PWDA) will be on Wednesday 16 November 2022. The meeting will commence at 6pm (AEDT) via the Zoom online conferencing platform. Attending the AGM Due to … Read more
- Be in the 2023 Sydney Mardi Gras Parade!We’re calling for expressions of interest from community members to join us in the 2023 Sydney Mardi Gras Parade! The parade will take place on Saturday 25 February 2023 on Oxford Street. There is a limited number of spots for marchers and priority will be given to PWDA members and community members who identify as LGBTQI+.
- Get involved: NDIS Participant Safety ProjectPWDA is looking for 10 NDIS participants from each of the following backgrounds and experiences to participate in an online workshop! Culturally and Linguistically Diverse LGBTQIA+ People with complex communication needs People experiencing homelessness, have previously experienced homelessness or at … Read more
- PWDA Board nominations now openPWDA is calling for nominations for seven (7) Director positions on the PWDA Board. Directors are appointed by the members of PWDA as representatives to lead and govern the organisation. For more information see our Constitution as a PDF or Word Doc. People with all … Read more
- Help us grow PWDA’s training program: Request For ProposalWe’re looking for someone to help us grow PWDA’s education and training program! Could it be you or someone you know? As you may know, the workshops and training activities PWDA provides are developed and presented by people with disability, and … Read more
Ends | Contact us