Housing and accommodation

Home » Get help » Housing and accommodation
Blue background with an icon of a finger clicking. Text reads ' Click here to get help'.

Tell us about your problem.

To get support, click the button to fill out our Intake Form, or you can call us on 1800 422 015 (toll-free) and talk to a PWDA intake officer. 

We support you to live in a place you can call home.

At PWDA, we provide a range of services that support people with disability to secure housing that best suits their needs.

There could be a range of problems where you live, including:

  • The place you live isn’t safe
  • You have a dispute about your rights with your landlord or accommodation provider
  • You are having difficulty getting home modifications
  • You have maintenance issues that could not get fixed
  • You are not receiving appropriate services as agreed with you
  • You need support to get rent assistance through Centrelink
  • If you need help urgently right now, please contact 0001800 RESPECT or Lifeline Australia.

How we help

Our advocates support hundreds of people with disability every year with issues related to their housing and accommodation. The support they offer can include providing information and referrals, going to meetings with or for the person, writing letters, making phone calls, assisting them to lodge complaints and more.

We can support people living in:

  • Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), Supported Independent Living (SIL), and Group Homes
  • Assisted Boarding Houses in specific locations
  • Public housing
  • Private rentals

Our housing services are only available to people living in New South Wales.

Disability Housing Information Line

This service provides information and advice to people living in Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs) in NSW, their supporters and accommodation providers. We can also refer your concerns to services that can assist you, including the NSW Disability Housing Advocacy Service.

Find out more about the Disability Housing Info Line.

Disability housing advocacy service

This service provides people in Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), SIL Homes, and Group Homes in NSW with a professional advocate who can support them to resolve their housing concerns and enforce their rights.

We can help you by making referrals, negotiate with your accommodation provider and other services and, if required, help you at Mediation.

Find out more about the disability housing advocacy service.

Disability Advocacy Futures Project

People with disability who live in Local Health District (LHD) areas of Sydney, South-Eastern Sydney, or South-Western Sydney can have access to advocacy assistance or information to resolve issues in NSW Government housing through this service.

This service also provides advice and support for residents living in Assisted Boarding Houses located in Sydney, South-Eastern Sydney, or South-Western Sydney Local Health District areas.

Find out more about the Disability Advocacy Futures Project.

Young Man getting his Mail, seated in his wheelchair

How to get help

To understand how we can best support you, we need to get some information about you as well as the problem you’re experiencing or the issue you’re wanting to address.

Residents of Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), SIL Homes, and Group Homes in NSW

If you live in Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), SIL Homes or Group Homes in NSW, please contact the Disability Housing Information Line:

  • Phone: 1800 422 015 (toll-free) and ask to speak to our Project Officer of the Disability Housing Information Line or one of our intake officers
  • Email: housinginfo@pwd.org.au

Boarding houses, public housing and private rental tenants

People with disability who live in public housing, a private rental, an Assisted Boarding House within the Local Health District (LHD) areas of Sydney, South-Eastern Sydney, or South-Western Sydney or somewhere else, please contact PWDA:

  • Call us on 1800 422 015 (toll free) and speak to one of our intake officers; or
  • Fill in our online Information request form

Once we have your information, we’ll then be able to provide the most appropriate assistance we can. An intake officer will be in contact with you via your preferred method of contact to provide you with information about progressing your case.

Ends | Contact us