Housing and accommodation
We support you to live in a place you can call home.
At PWDA, we provide a range of services that support people with disability to secure housing that best suits their needs.
There could be a range of problems where you live, including:
- The place you live isn’t safe
- You have a dispute about your rights with your landlord or accommodation provider
- You are having difficulty getting home modifications
- You have maintenance issues that could not get fixed
- You are not receiving appropriate services as agreed with you
- You need support to get rent assistance through Centrelink
- If you need help urgently right now, please contact 000, 1800 RESPECT or Lifeline Australia.
How we help
Our advocates support hundreds of people with disability every year with issues related to their housing and accommodation. The support they offer can include providing information and referrals, going to meetings with or for the person, writing letters, making phone calls, assisting them to lodge complaints and more.
We can support people living in:
- Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), Supported Independent Living (SIL), and Group Homes
- Assisted Boarding Houses in specific locations
- Public housing
- Private rentals
Our housing services are only available to people living in New South Wales.
Disability Housing Information Line
This service provides information and advice to people living in Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs) in NSW, their supporters and accommodation providers. We can also refer your concerns to services that can assist you, including the NSW Disability Housing Advocacy Service.
Disability housing advocacy service
This service provides people in Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), SIL Homes, and Group Homes in NSW with a professional advocate who can support them to resolve their housing concerns and enforce their rights.
We can help you by making referrals, negotiate with your accommodation provider and other services and, if required, help you at Mediation.
Disability Advocacy Futures Project
People with disability who live in Local Health District (LHD) areas of Sydney, South-Eastern Sydney, or South-Western Sydney can have access to advocacy assistance or information to resolve issues in NSW Government housing through this service.
This service also provides advice and support for residents living in Assisted Boarding Houses located in Sydney, South-Eastern Sydney, or South-Western Sydney Local Health District areas.
How to get help
To understand how we can best support you, we need to get some information about you as well as the problem you’re experiencing or the issue you’re wanting to address.
Residents of Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), SIL Homes, and Group Homes in NSW
If you live in Specialist Disability Accommodations (SDAs), SIL Homes or Group Homes in NSW, please contact the Disability Housing Information Line:
- Phone: 1800 843 929 (toll-free) and ask to speak to our Project Officer of the Disability Housing Information Line or one of our intake officers
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Boarding houses, public housing and private rental tenants
People with disability who live in public housing, a private rental, an Assisted Boarding House within the Local Health District (LHD) areas of Sydney, South-Eastern Sydney, or South-Western Sydney or somewhere else, please contact PWDA:
- Call us on 1800 422 015 (toll free) and speak to one of our intake officers; or
- Fill in our online Information request form
Once we have your information, we’ll then be able to provide the most appropriate assistance we can. One of our intake officers will be in contact with you via your preferred method of contact to provide you with information about progressing your case.
Ends | Contact us