Individual advocacy

Home » Get help » Individual advocacy
Blue background with an icon of a finger clicking. Text reads ' Click here to get help'.

Tell us about your problem.

To get support, click the button to fill out our Intake Form, or you can call us on 1800 422 015 (toll-free) and talk to a PWDA intake officer. 

We’re empowering people with disability to take control.

Sometimes everyone needs a hand to solve a problem or sort out an issue. Our team of advocates work with clients to give them the confidence they need to move forward.

What is individual advocacy?

Our individual advocates are trained professionals who support or work on behalf of a person with disability to support them to speak out and defend their rights and interests as well as sort out complaints, issues and problems.

Our advocates take direction from the person with disability, keep their issues and information private and confidential and only release information with permission from the person. Our advocates provide information and support so clients can also feel more confident advocating for themselves. For more information, access our Client Handbook here.

Please note: We previously delivered our support services via our Wayfinder Hub website, which has now been decommissioned. All the services previously provided via our Wayfinder Hub are still all available using the forms on this page.

Side profile of a man sitting, smiling and looking off into the distance. In the background is a young woman looking at him and smiling.

How our individual advocates can help

Our advocates support thousands of people with disability every year to solve problems, resolve issues and improve their quality of life. The support they provide can include going to meetings with or for the person, writing letters, making phone calls, assisting them to lodge complaints, and much more.

Our individual advocacy services are:

  • Non-legal
  • Issue-based
  • Short to medium term
  • For people with disability who have serious and urgent issues

Priority is given to people with disability experiencing abuse and neglect, discrimination, homelessness, or those who lack appropriate services and supports. Specific consideration is given to groups of people experiencing increased disadvantage:

  • Women with disability
  • Children with disability
  • People with multiple disabilities
  • First Nations people with disability
  • People with disability living in segregated settings (boarding houses, institutions, prisons and detention centres)
  • People with disability living in regional or remote areas

I don’t have the words to explain how grateful I am for what my PWDA advocate has achieved for me and the calm, respectful and gentlemanly-like way he has achieved it. He makes me feel believed, safe and respected. I could not think of a better advocate.

Maggie, PWDA client (Name changed for privacy)

Where we provide our services

Some of our services are provided nationally, some are provided for residents in New South Wales, and some are provided for residents in selected locations in Queensland (Logan, Fraser Coast, Sunshine Coast, Maroochydore, Bundaberg, Mount Isa and Lower Gulf communities).

National advocacy services

  • Information about disability services and support throughout Australia
  • Information and support about the National Redress Scheme for institutional childhood sexual abuse, including how to lodge a claim for redress

New South Wales and Queensland services

  • National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) applications, appeals and other support
  • Centrelink applications and appeals
  • Sharing your story with the Disability Royal Commission
  • Support regarding discrimination by employers, service providers, businesses or governments
  • Support regarding violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation

New South Wales-only services

  • Housing and accommodation

How to get help

To understand how we can best help, we need to learn more about you, your situation as well as the issue you’re experiencing. Get in touch!

  • Phone: 1800 422 015 (toll-free) and speak to one of our intake officers
  • Fill out our online Advocacy request form here or using the button below.

Once we have your information, we’ll then be able to provide the most appropriate assistance we can. One of our intake officers will be in contact with you via your preferred method of contact to provide you with information about progressing your case.

Blue background with an icon of a finger clicking. Text reads ' Click here to get help'.

Ends | Contact us