Our Individual and Group Advocacy Services are provided by Advocates who stand up for the rights of a person with disability and helps sort out their complaint, issue or problem. Our advocates take direction from the person with disability, keeps their issues and information private and confidential and only releases information with permission from the person. Advocacy support can include going to meetings with or for the person, writing letters, making phone calls or assisting them to lodge complaints. PWDA’s Individual and Group Advocacy Advocates work tirelessly to resolve issues and improve the quality of life for people with disability.
We have a range of brochures, including for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and in community languages (Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese) available in Word and PDF formats.
Our Individual & Group Advocacy Services are
- short to medium term,
- to people with disability who have serious and urgent issues and
- also provides information to people with disability about how to advocate for themselves.
Priority is given to people with disability experiencing abuse and neglect, discrimination, homelessness, or those who lack appropriate services and supports. Specific consideration is given to groups of people experiencing increased disadvantage:
- women with disability
- children with disability
- people with multiple disability
- people with disability who are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- people with disability living in segregated settings (boarding houses, institutions, prisons and detention centres)
- people with disability living in regional or remote areas.
PWDA’s Individual and Group Advocacy Services provide support to people with disability
- living anywhere in NSW with Advocates based in Redfern;
- living in three regions of NSW with locally based Advocates in Queanbeyan, Sutherland and the Southern Tablelands and Southern Highlands;
- living in five regions in Queensland with locally based Advocates in Logan, the Fraser Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Bundaberg, Mount Isa and Lower Gulf Communities.
(For contact details and postal addresses please click here)
How to contact us
For advocacy support please call us on (02) 9370 3100, Toll Free on 1800 422 015 or TTY Toll Free on 1800 422 016 or email email@example.com