This hub is no longer being updated and its content can now be found at the Our Royal Commission website.

Advocacy Support

Our advocates can help you with the Disability Royal Commission. They can help you understand how to tell your story to the Disability Royal Commission, help you work out problems, and talk to you about ways to get other kinds of help, such as legal or financial services.

For advocacy support, please call us on 1800 843 929 (toll free) or email If you want to talk to someone face to face, we can arrange that if you’re in most parts of New South Wales and Queensland, or we can tell you about advocacy organisations in your area that you can talk to. You can also look for other organisations in your area using a government tool called the Disability Advocacy Finder. There is now a website specifically for West Australians with disability to connect with local advocacy groups.

Find out more about PWDA advocacy services, or find out more about Wayfinder Hub.

Official Royal Commission support

You can get free emotional support from the Blue Knot Foundation. Their counselling and referral service is available for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission.

Call the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468. They can help you with:

  • support with how you’re feeling about the Disability Royal Commission
  • support for making choices about telling your story
  • information about other ways to get practical support.

The Service operates 9:00am to 6:00pm weekdays and 9:00am to 5:00pm weekends (AEDT)

You can get free legal support from the Your Story Disability Legal Service.  Call them on 1800 771 800 between 9.15am and 5.15pm (AEDT).

The person on the phone will explain how to tell your story to the Royal Commission. If you need advice from a lawyer, they will help you make an appointment and a legal expert will call you back. You can talk to them about about things like:

  • Your legal rights
  • Naming a person or organisation in your story or submission
  • What to do if any part of your story is covered by a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement that you have signed
  • What to do if you are worried about someone trying to punish you for telling your story, like by denying you or someone else access to services.
  • What to do if you want your story or submission, or parts of it, to be kept private

Other Services

1800 RESPECT is the national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service. (1800 737 732)

Lifeline has 24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services. (13 11 14)

Mensline is a telephone and online counselling service for men with emotional health and relationship concerns. (1300 789 978)

Kids Helpline is a free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25. (1800 551 800)

Aboriginal Family Domestic Violence Hotline is a dedicated FACS contact line for Aboriginal victims of crime who would like information on victims rights, how to access counselling and financial assistance. (1800 019 123)


People who are deaf, hard of hearing and/or have a speech impairment can use the National Relay Service (NRS) to call any of these services. Please phone 133 677.

If you need support in another language please use the free of charge Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450.