National Redress Scheme

The National Redress Scheme has been set up to acknowledge and recognise the sexual abuse many people, including people with disability, experienced as children in institutions. It was set up by the Australian Government in response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

The National Redress Scheme is one way for people to get recognition for the harms they experienced.

The National Redress Scheme is made up of three parts:

  • Monetary payment to acknowledge the seriousness of the hurt experienced
  • Counselling and psychological services
  • If asked for by the survivor, a personal response from the responsible institution

More information is available on the National Redress Scheme website.

People with Disability Australia is a Redress Support Service provider

PWDA provides confidential and free support to survivors of institutional child sexual abuse with disability who are considering applying for Redress across Australia. PWDA will only act with your consent and you can withdraw your consent at any time.

You can see our brochure here. Our resources are also available in Easy English.

We offer this support in 3 types of service:

1. National telephone service: Wayfinder Hub information and referral service, accessible by phone or email across Australia. The Hub provides accessible information about the Redress Scheme and seeks to connect people with disability to Redress support services in their area for a direct, face-to-face service where possible.

2. Face to face and telephone support: Individual Advocates can support people with disability who live in NSW and Queensland with the application process. We can support you to consider your options and decide if you want to apply. We can also help you complete the application, and provide assisted referrals to other support services. NSW-based Individual Advocates can support people in the Sydney Metropolitan area, Sutherland area,  Queanbeyan, the Southern Tablelands and Southern Highlands. Queensland-based Individual Advocates can support people in Logan, the Fraser Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Bundaberg, Mount Isa and Lower Gulf Communities.

3. Face to face and telephone support: PWDA provides intensive support to assist people with disability who face additional barriers to access the scheme. This service is provided in metropolitan Sydney, with some ability to travel to outer Sydney and regional areas. We can support people with disability to decide if they might be eligible to apply, support people with the application, provide assisted referrals to other services and address other advocacy issues such as housing, NDIS and referral to legal advice.

We focus this intensive assistance to:

  • People living in boarding houses, group homes, aged care facilities and other institutions
  • People who are homeless or at risk of homelessness

People with Disability Australia’s Redress Project will work with other service providers to develop best practices and build capacity in working with people with disability who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse.

Contact us via the Wayfinder Hub:

Phone (toll free): 1800 843 929


If you need help immediately, contact:

1800 RESPECT, the national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service (1800 737 732)

Lifeline (13 11 14)

Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467)

Mensline (1300 789 978)

QLife (1800 184 527) from 3pm – midnight every day.